Thursday, June 11, 2009

Someone's someone

I don’t know how many times I’ve dozed off today and it’s just 12pm. I still have half a day to go before I can go home. So, to avoid myself from falling asleep, I’m now pretending to do a very important assignment when in fact I’m writing a blog post. SShh. Don’t tell anyone, okay? My supervisor is off to a meeting so I don’t really have anything to do besides studying the PFDs of the plant. It’s very complicated and confusing, so I’m resting for awhile. Yesterday was the first time I went on site. To tell you the truth, I was so excited! But to go in, you have to wear these one-size-too-big PPEs, such as coverall and boots. I feel like an elf wearing a giant’s clothes. Okay, so that was a hyperbola but it is big. The coverall is okay, I guess. It’s just my fault that I’m skinny as a stick. The boots, however, are just too big. If there was an emergency and it involved running, those boots won’t be following me back to safety (it means I’ll take off the boots and run. That was an indirect sentence. Hehe). I’m going to ask for a different size once the other trainees have finished their interns since there wasn’t any left in my size the other day.

Oh, I kind of ran out of the topic right? Anyway, after settling a few things, it was time to go in. We went to the units where my department or group was in charge of. My supervisor showed and explained to me about how they were connected and so on. It would be confusing if you didn’t do a little bit of reading and studying, so thank god I did. I also saw a clearer picture when seeing them in real life. Those things were like 20 times the size in pictures. Or maybe 100 times the size. It was amazing. It was also scary. Since, we are dealing with crude oil which are flammable, anything could happen. You could get exposed to dangerous gases, things might be falling from the sky in the plant and so on. And then, there is the fact that I was the only few girls at the site compared to the hundreds of guys there. No need to explain that. But it was fun. An experience I’ll never forget. One thing I’ll never forget was seeing the inside of a furnace. A furnace is basically used to heat the feed before entering the distillation column. The only thing I saw inside the furnace was red hot fire. Cool right?

P.s. If you’re wondering about the title, it’s nothing really. I’m just known here as someone’s someone. If you get what I mean.

No comments: